Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Sunday, March 27, 2011

LAZY DAYS

I know some parts of the country are having horrible weather, but things are just fine in Southern Maryland.  We had a very mild winter and it's been warm and lovely the past week or so.  We have had rains, but night seemed to be the proper time to have heavy downpours and strong winds; the days were bright and sunny and the ground just a tad too wet for me to begin working on the lawn.  Perfect.

     Make no mistake about it, spring has come.  We drove around yesterday admiring the forsythia in bloom, as well as the daffodils, jonquils, and roses.  The redbuds are gearing up for riotous color, the trees have sprouted tiny green buds for a promise of verdant beauty.  The azaleas are justung itching to bloom.  The birds are singing.  The male cardinals are ariot in bright display to attract the lady cardinals.  Robins are feasting on treats from the ground.  (Strangely, in four years of living here, I've never seen an oriole.  What's that about?  I mean, I'm fifty miles from Baltimore, for heaven's sake!) 

     It started to grow chilly last night and I woke up this morning to a blanket of snow covering the ground -- about an inch, which is just enough for nature to tell us not to get too cocky.  Looking out the front door, I couold view the trees -- thirty, forty, fifty feet tall -- laced in delicate white.  The view is the same but different out the back door.  Through the white-armed trees, I can see the sun glinting off the lake, providing me with a private dance of light.  It was quiet here in the morning.  No one was about and nature spoke silently at that hour.

    It's now late afternoon, the snow is completely gone and it's short-sleeve weather again.  Nature has again told me that she can do what she wishes, when she wishes.  I'm glad that recently she has decided to be kind to me, showing me her grace and her beautiful coutenance.  Tomorrow it will still be warm, although the ground will be wet from the melted snow.  I'm afraid I still won't get to work on the lawn.  Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment