Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Friday, December 16, 2011

FORGET? WHO? ME?

No Forgotten Book today; I'm nearing the homestretch on Stephen King's 11/22/63.  You have just got to love a time-travel novel that deftly throws in an homage sentence such as this:  "If everything went just right, it was possible I could wind up with the girl, the gold watch, and everything."

     I almost always post Friday's Forgotten Book on one that I had read that week.  Since nothing I've read is forgotten (2 Joan Aiken collections, the first three volumes of Brian Vaughan's Runaways GN collections, and about 600 pages of the King doorstop) I'm going to just recommend a book I read a long time ago, Jane Langton's Good and Dead, the sixth in her marvelous Homer Kelly series.  It takes a long time, but man is murdered by his wife's cooking; she feeds him super-rich foods until his cholestrol-laden system gives up on him.  As stylish, witty and erudite as all of Langton's books, this one is an off-beat winner.

    ( Her next mystery, Murder at the Gardner, I happened to read shortly before visiting the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum.  About two weeks afterwards came the big art heist at the museum; several of the paintings stolen -- and never recovered -- were some that I particularly loved.  I'm glad I got a chance to see them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment