Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

COINCIDENCE

Yesterday afternoon we were watching an episode of Revolution that we had taped, and when we reached the point where everybody seemed to accusing everybody else of being a spy, the Giancarlo Esposito character nodded at another character and said something to the effect of, "What about Travis Bickle over there?"  Cool, I thought.  It's not that often that you hear a DeNiro/Taxi Driver reference these days. 

Since I had had a tooth extracted earlier that afternoon (a longer and more difficult process than neither the dentist nor I had expected) and since my mouth started throbbing in earnest about then, I took a Vicodan (prescribed, I believe, only because my last name is House and because I occasionally use a cane) and went in for a nap.  While waiting for the painkiller to kick in, a read a few pages (three, actually) of the current book, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (it's very,very good, btw) and read this passage on page 122:  "By the time I woke up it was five in the morning and my taxi driver was turning into Travis Bickle."

Strange, huh?  Two Travis Bickle references in less than half an hour.  Well, actually, no.  My life seems to be made up of such minor and inconsequential coincidences, interspersed with periods of non-coincidence.  Your life, too, probably.

I could say that when I fell asleep, I dreamed of a young Jody Foster.  But I didn't and I won't.  Coincidences only go so far, except in bad fiction.

All of the above is very trivial and forgettable and has absolutely no meaning at all.  But when it came time to write a post for the blog, I wrote the above.

Purely by coincidence, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment